Below is a sample of some of the projects I have worked on over the last few years. Some have project reports attached so please have a look at what I have been up to (many of the reports - highlighted in blue - are too large to be saved on this site, but I will happily email them to you if you ask - see Contact me Page).
- Delivered 2 day workshop with David Revell of Imagemakers in Rijeka, NW Croatia. We were working with the museum sector and other creative industries to explore ideas for the interpretive development of Second WW tunnels that were shelters from Allied bombing
- Another great summer guiding with 33 walking tours, 34 Outlander tours and 23 full day tours with over 1500 guests from over 40 countries
- Member of discussion panel on tourism and interpretation at NAI international conference in Reims, France. Moderated by former NAI Chair Amy Lethbridge along with Jane Beattie, Minneapolis and Sue Hodges from Melbourne
- Work with the Board of the Wester Ross Biosphere Reserve to produce an Engagement Plan
- 208 delegates from 27 countries attended conference in Inverness - jointly run by myself on behalf of Interpret Europe in partnership with Ruth Coulthard, Conference Manager for the Asscoiation of Heritage Interpretation.
- Heavily involved in delivery of the joint IE/AHI Heritage Interpretation Conference in Inverness 3-6 October. IE Conference Co-ordinator for this event
- A summer of tour guiding with 40 day tours around the Highlands and 12 walking tours (see tour guiding section for more details)
- Made two presentations at inaugeral Norwegian Parks Conference - one on visitor expereince in Oppland National Parks and other about need for planning communication approachs for Parks
- Attended Interpret Europe Spring Event in Prague for meeting of all IE Coordinators and to promote Inverness Conference. Enthusiastic support from all 70 delegates
- Conference Co-ordinator for joint Interpret Europe and Association for Heritage Interpretation Conference in Inverness 3-6 October....conference website
- Working with WOW Scotland as a bespoke tour guide throughout the Highlands and Islands
- Delivered 3 presentations to Tourism Associations in Trysil (Norway's biggest skiing centre), Sälen (Sweden's largest) and Idre (also in Sweden). All were looking at diversifying the product to develop all season nature based tourism offering.
- Working on behalf of Interpret Europe. with AHI, on the delivery of International Heritage Interpretation Conference in Inverness October 2017 - 'Shaped by Nature - engaging visitors with wild landscapes'
- Visit to west Norway to provide advice to tourism company (Corokia.no) managing and developing a rnage of businesses in the nature based tourism market - hotel, camping ground and conference centre plus activity company. Also visited outstanding Havhotell (Ocean Hotel) on far western island of Værlandet for which I did the marketing plan 5 years ago.
- Hosted visit by Norwegian Institute for Nature Research (NINA)
- Visit by National Park Managers from 6 National Parks in Oppland to experience quality natural heritage interpretation in Scotland. Visited Beinn Eighe, Knockan, Cairngorms, Aberfoyle, Loch Leven and Edinburgh
- Workshop in Lom, Oppland to report back on summer visit to Norwegian National Parks. Attended by 40 plus managers, environment department, tourism agency and businesses staff and representatives
- Organised study visit to Cairngorms for representatives from proposed new National Park in S Sweden called Destination Åsnen
- 17 day visit to Norway including 'secret shopper' visits to Jotunheimen, Rondane and Døvrefjell National Parks to assess the tourism product. Also visited 5 of the Norwegian National Tourist Routes
- Study visit to look at nature based tourism developments in and around the Cairngorms by 13 businesses from Hyllestad Municipality in west Sogn of Fjordane.
- Visitor Interpretation Strategy for Ben Nevis and Glen Nevis for Nevis Landscape Partnership. Developing themes for the UK's highest mountain and one of our most glorious Glens
- Developing assessment of Visitor Experience in a range of Norwegian National Parks
- Study tour by the Board of Jostedalsbreen National Park to Cairngorms. Group of 12 with 5 Municipality Mayors
- On Archaeological dig in Galicia - provided some interpetive training.
- Walked Padjelanta Trail in Swedish Lapland and provided advice and overview on trail development
- Delivered keynote presentation at Bothnian Bay Marine Forum meeting in Skellefteå in Sweden. Subject was Creating experience based tourism in Scotland.
- Study tour by all the staff of the Department for Environment and Climate Change at the County Governor's of Sogn og Fjordane. Visit took in Skye, Cairngorms and Edinburgh
- Study tour by senior staff, management board and regional tourism leaders from Swedish Lapland Tourism to see how we deliver tourism in Scotland. 26 participants.
- Chairman of the organising committee for the 4th Interpret Europe Conference to be held at Primosten, Croatia, 10th - 14th May
- Reconnected with UHI Masters in Heritage Interpretation with attendance at external stakeholders meeting at Perth College. Looking forward to future contact.
- Organised study visit in late March to look at visitor centres in Ireland for the management committee of the Preikestolen, Pulpit Rock east of Stavanger, Norway
- Ongoing work towards setting up community meeting to take forward North Coast Trail
- Facilitated workshop, on behalf of Cairngorms National Park to re-focus the content of the Explore Abernethy Centre in Nethy Bridge. 18 years after original interpretive plan that Elspeth Grant and I developed
- Telephone consultation with communities and agencies about the concept of a North Highland Way from Cape Wrath to John o'Groats on behalf of Highland Council
- The Finns finally visited 9th-13th January and the weather was great (see below)
- Preparatory visit by 2 Finns from Pallas-Yllästunturi National Park in Finland to Cairngorms NP. This is a 100km long park near the Swedish border that is the most visited NP in Finland. They are particularly interested in the European Charter for Sustainable Tourism. Larger group to visit in January!!!
- Speaker at the Academy of Swedish Lapland in Ardvidsjaur in Norrbotten. This is the annual get together of 170 tourism activists in the far north of Sweden. I spoke on the role of Visit Scotland in delivering a successful tourism sector and on the creation of nature based experiences and the role of DMOs
- Spoke at tourism workshop in Hyllestad Kommune in Sogn og Fjordane on destination development in Scotland.
- Organised visit by all staff from the Distriktsenteret - the agency supporting the development of Rural Competence throughout Norway. 25 attendees meeting with HIE, the Highland Council and Cairngorms National Park
- Organised visit by 13 members of the Management group for the Protected area for the most southerly wild reindeer herd in Europe - the impossibly named Setesdal Vesthei, Ryfylkeheiane and Frafjordheiane Protected Area. Visit to Eastern Cairngorms - Glentanar, Glen Doll and Muir of Dinnet
- Presentation to 50 tourism businesses in Piteå as part of the Bottensviken Skårgårdfest about nature based and activity bsed tourism development and delivery in Scotland.
- In Swedish Lapland and spent day advising steering group for what they consider a Swedish first - a lowland long Distance Trail - the Solander Trail - 120km either side of Piteå
- Helping to deliver a working seminar to consider the future structures for Swedish Lapland Toursim. Representatives from the nw regional tourism organisation and from 9 DMO's that are to work together in the coming months to deliver the future tourism product for Swedish Lapland - an area bigger than Scotland.
- Took part in 5 day walk as part of Royal Scottish Geographical Society 'Stories of Bedrock' from Dalwhinnie to Fort William. In the company of artists, poets, writers and a geologist. Outstanding weather and fabulous scenery.
- Delivered successful International Conference in Heritage Interpretation (as chair of organising committee) for 160 delegates in Sigtuna, Sweden. This was a joint event with Interpret Europe, NAI and the Swedish Centre for Nature Interpretation.
- Organised visits by 35 staff of the Department for Nature Management from the County of Västerbotten in Northern Sweden to Cairngorms National Park
- Organised visit by 15 staff from the Department for Environment in the County of Vest Agder in southern Norway to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park
- Working with Bob Kinnaird, Principal of Glenmore Lodge - Scotland's National Outdoor Training Centre in helping them re-inforce the ethos of the Centre - 'Inspiring Adventure' - into the fabric of the building through word and image.
- Completed study visit for Swedish group listed below. 13 tourism, arts and crafts businesses for 7 days around Orkney, Caithness, Sutherland and Inverness. The whole trip was blessed with exceptional weather for mid February.
- Delivered marketing and promotional report for the Clan Macpherson Museum in Newtonmore - one of the earliest of its kind in Scotland
- Organising study visit for group from the coastal region of Swedish Lapland - Bottenvikens skargårad. The group consists of tourism, arts and crafts and heritage businesses and will visit Orkney and the North Highlands in February 2013.
- Organised study visit for 19 politicians, board members and managers of 7 National parks in Oppland County Norway to Cairngorms National Park. Visit organised on behalf of Cairngorms National Park Authority
- Delivered tourism development workshop for 22 businesses in Hyllestad Municipality in Sogn og Fjordane - just at northern entrance to Sogne Fjord.
- Invited to Chair Steering Group for joint Interpret Europe/ Swedish Centre for Nature Interpretation/ National Association for Interpretation conference in Stockholm, Sweden June 2013
- Attended opening of Norwegian Seabird Centre - Nørdsjøfuglsenter, for which I did the original interpretive plan
- Working with group in Hyllestad Municipality, Sogn og Fjordane to deliver nature based tourism workshop in late August
- Delivered 3 day walking tourism seminar for 15 businesses and tourism agency staff on the fjord coast of Sogn og Fjordane
- Facilitated meeting with a range of interested parties investigating the development of a long distance route from Fort William to Cape Wrath - the Cape Wrath Trail
- Co-ordinated visit by group from North Sweden - Islands of Swedish Lapland - who are seeking partners for a trans-national EU project based on coastal cutural and natural heritage. Successful meetings in Dunbeath, Ullapool and Inverness.
- Organised and led 2 groups from Norway on study tours of Highlands; 18 from Sørnorsk Kystnatur project, very south of Norway, looking at tourism and heritage links and 6 from the board of Lierne National Park, NE of Trondheim visiting Cairngorms National Park
- Scoping interpretive provision for new nature trail on the southern edge of the Hardangervidda National Park, Norway
- Developing a Framework for a ranger service for the coastal area of Sogn og Fjordane (ongoing) - evolved from nature guiding project below.
- Interpretive plan for Pitmedden Garden (Aberdeenshire) for National Trust for Scotland
- Assisting Development Coll in the production of an interpretive plan for the island that will inform heritage content in their new community centre An Cridhe
- Keynote speaker at Nordberg Conference in S. Norway 'Creating Natural Experiences for Visitors' (see News Section)
- Organised and guided 19 tourism businesses from W Norway (Sogn og Fjordane) to experience heritage based tourism in the Highlands (see News section)
- Feasibility Study into Improving Website Approaches for Promoting and Marketing Paths (Paths for All and SNH) – with Plexus Media Please contact me for copy of Final Report
Forward strategy for nature based tourism in the Outer Hebrides (SNH) – with Duncan Bryden and Steve Westbrook Full Report
Development of a community based interpretive plan for Boat of Garten - (Boat of Garten Community Company) Please contact me for a copy of the Final Plan
Rationale for Nature Guiding Project in the coastal area of Sogn og Fjordane, W Norway (ongoing)
Feasibility study for Braemar Highland Gathering HQ – (Braemar Royal Highland Charity) – with Imagemakers and Steve Westbrook
Feasibility study for potential community bid for Isle of Harris National Park (as team member led by Duncan Bryden) Final Report
Interpretive Plan for development of wildlife centre Vaerlandet, Sogn of Fjordane, Norway Final Plan
Interpretation Strategy for the Scottish operations of the Whale and Dolphin Conservation Society (WDCS) Strategy
Scoping study for International Diaspora Conference in Inverness (H2007)
Facilitated workshop to develop wildlife tourism product for North Highlands (North Highland Tourism)
Report into use of technology to connect visitors to wildlife in Moray (WDCS) with Cameron Taylor and Ali Murray
Forestry Commission Scotland Interpretive Framework for 7stanes Mountain Biking Network in South Scotland (FCS) Framework
Feasibility study into the use of technology for Tarbat Discovery Centre, Portmahomack (Tarbet Discovery Centre) with Cameron Taylor and Ali Murray
Keynote address at International World Heritage Conference; Sokcho, Korea (NAI) Conference
Initiated and managed £200,000, Tourism Heritage and Technology Challenge Fund within Highlands and Islands (HIE)
Lead HIE response to Coastal and Marine National Park debate and member of Scottish Executive stakeholder group
Chairman of Steering Group for the Vital Spark Conference, Aviemore International Heritage Interpretation Conference, Aviemore